About Me

My photo
Chocolate and coffee make me happy!!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Coconut Cream Shrimp Surprise

So...this is my first recipe post after setting up this blog months ago.  And...I have to give credit to my husband for this (not so clever) recipe name.  I came up with this during one of my Paleo spurts, and it quickly became a family favorite!  In the future I promise to have more to say.  For now, I'm just trying to get through this first post.

Garlic Rice
3 Cups Water
1 3/4 Cups White Rice
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Garlic

Add water, butter & garlic to a pan over medium heat and bring to a slight boil.  Stir in rice.  Once everything is boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.  After 25 minutes fluff rice using a fork.

In the meantime...

Coconut Cream Shrimp Surprise
Few Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Green Pepper, diced
2 Tbsp Garlic, diced
1 20oz Can of Pineapple Chunks, WELL drained
1 13.5oz Can of Coconut Milk
Salt & Pepper
2 Tsp Ancho Chili Pepper
12oz Shrimp, Peeled, Tails Off, & Deveined
Cilantro



Dice up onion & green pepper and add to pan with coconut oil.  You can also use olive oil instead of coconut oil.
 
 
Saute until translucent, 5-8 minutes.
 
 
Add garlic and salt & pepper (to taste).  You should know how you like to S&P your meals.  I personally do not use a lot of salt in my cooking, but feel free to add more as needed.  Add coconut milk and ancho chili pepper and stir well.  Simmer 3-5 minutes, letting the sauce thicken slightly.  Then stir in your well drained pineapple, and simmer 1-2 minutes.  I cannot stress the importance of having your pineapple drained!  This sauce is thin enough...you def don't need any extra liquids.
 
 
Stir in shrimp and simmer until cooked thoroughly, around 4-5 minutes or until your shrimp are all pink.
 
 
By now your rice should be done.  Serve your shrimp with sauce over the cooked white rice.  Top with fresh cilantro....lots!  I LOVE cilantro and I think it helps brighten this dish. 
 

Enjoy!
Side Note:  This makes AWESOME leftovers :)
 
 
Variations:
Paleo Friendly-Omit the rice, and use cauliflower rice
Spicy-Add diced jalapenos

 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment